Australian Rules football, often referred to simply as Aussie Rules, has the highest spectator attendance and television viewership of all sports in Australia, and the Australian Football League (AFL) annual Grand Final is the highest attended club championship in the world.
Australian Rules football has its roots in rugby but is uniquely Australian, and the origins of the sport can be traced back as far as 1859.
As it was first played in Melbourne, Victoria, the sport has a particularly high following in the state of Victoria, and 10 of the 18 clubs who are members of the AFL hail from Victoria. Aussie Rules football has gained an international following over the decades, and it’s currently played in several countries on an amateur level.
Introduction to Online Sports Betting
Nothing makes watching a sports match or event more exciting than putting money down on the outcome or on an event within the match. Take a look at our top tips for getting started with online sports betting.
- Choose a reputable online sportsbook: there are hundreds – if not thousands – of online sportsbooks to choose from, but this doesn’t mean they are all worth your time and money. Do research and chat to fellow punters for the best recommendations.
- Get to know your sport: the most successful punters focus on one or two sports for the majority of their sports betting. Decide which sports you’re most interested in and get to know everything there is to know.
- Make sure you understand how odds work: odds not only denote how much money you will get back if your prediction is correct, but they also denote the likelihood of an event taking place. Be sure you understand exactly how they work before staking any money.
Types of Australian Rules Football Bets
You will be able to choose between wagers on specific matches, the championship season as a whole, novelty bets, and even happenings within an AFL match with live sports betting.
Take a look at some of the most popular AFL bets, and be sure you understand the odds before staking any money.
- Outcome: predict which team will be successful in a particular match.
- Futures: predict which team will make it through to the Grand Final, or which team will take the championship. Futures are bets placed before the beginning of a season.
- Novelty: as AFL betting is so popular there will be many novelty wagers on offer. For example, which non-Victorian team will be most successful, which Victorian team will be most successful, or which team will be awarded the Wooden Spoon!
Sports Betting Tips for Success
Once you’ve chosen a reputable sportsbook and created an account, there are a few things that need to be kept in mind. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to guarantee wins, but you can at the very least limit losses.
- Bankroll management is one of the most important factors of successful sports betting. Set up a budget and stick to it which will prevent you from betting with money you can’t afford to lose.
- Shopping the odds is recommended as this will ensure you have access to the best odds possible. It’s for this reason that we recommend having an account with more than one online sportsbook. There is no point in finding fantastic odds, but missing out on the opportunity while waiting for funds to clear in a new account.